Wednesday, June 15, 2011

BBQ Pork & Penne Skillet

So this was our DELICIOUS dinner tonight! 8 our of 8 loved it. So that is always great! Monday night I put 12 lbs of pork shoulder & butt in a crock pot with diced onion and ginger ale. Set to LOW for 12 hours. Drained the fat and ginger ale off. Threw the onions back in and started pulling the pork off. Threw in some jars of BBQ sauce and left on LOW for about 5 more hours. We had pulled pork tostadas and with all the extra made this recipe.

1 pkg (16 oz, but I only had 13.25 oz) whole wheat penne pasta
1 C chopped sweet red pepper
3/4 C chopped onion
oil
3 garlic cloves, minced
18 oz BBQ pork. I guess you can buy it in the freezer section
1 can (14 1/2 oz) diced tomatoes w/mild green chilies, undrained
1/2 C beef broth
1 t cumin
1 t pepper
1/4 t salt
1 1/4 C chedder, shredded
1/4 C chopped green onions

Cook pasta. Meanwhile in a large skillet, saute red pepper and onion in oil until tender. Add garlic; saute 1 minute longer. Stir in the pork, tomatoes, broth, cumin, pepper and salt; heat thru.

Drain pasta. Add pasta and cheese to pork mixture; Sprinkle with green onions.

I didn't add the cheese and green onions. I just put them in bowls on the table. I also forgot the cumin, pepper nad salt. Tasted great, but I love cumin, so I can imagine it would be even better! Serves 8

1 serving (1 1/2 C): 313.7 calories, 12.6 g fat (and I think there is less as I drained the fat. There was hardly any fat on the refrigerated stuff.) carbs 29.7 g, 3.2 g fiber, 9.9 g sugar (BBQ sauce....gonna look for a lower sugar one next time), 15.9 g protein

Happy Eating!
TeAm Healthy

No comments:

Post a Comment