Sunday, June 12, 2011

Chicken Sausage Gyros

So my grandpa was greek. I LOVE greek food! Especially gyros. So when I came across this recipe I was really excited! It is really delicious, too! We used Jennie-O turkey sausage, those U shaped (I believe) 14 oz packages. I also didn't have olive oil, so I omitted it. Wal-Mart didn't sell whole wheat pita bread, just white.

Serves 4

12 oz fully cooked spinach and feta chicken sausage links or Italian flavor of your choice, cut into 1/4"slices - doesn't spinach and feta links sound DELICIOUS!!!
1 C (8 oz) fat free sour cream
1/4 C finely chopped cucumbers
1 1/2 t red wine vinegar
1 1/2 t olive oil
1/2 t garlic powder
4 whole wheat pita bread (6")
1 medium plum tomatoes, sliced (I used grape tomatoes quartered)
1/2 small onion, thinly sliced

In a large skillet coated with cooking spray (I had to add water), cook chicken sausage over meadium heat until heated through.
Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the sour cream, cucumber, vineagar, oil and garlic powder. Serve the chicken sausage on pita, with tomato, onion and sause.

One serving: 315.7 calories, 8.3 g fat, 39.9 g carbs, 1.8 g fiber, 4.2 g sugar, 17.8 g protein

LOTS of carbs, but that is the pita bread. I have eaten the left over meat, sauce and tomatoes today. That makes it more healthy. Next time I will try and make my own wrap.

Happy Eating!
TeAm Healthy

No comments:

Post a Comment