Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Cauliflower & Whole Wheat Penne Pasta

So this recipe we got off Rachel Ray - 30 minute meals. (All my kids and I - Amy are addicted to Rachel Ray!) Anyhow, we tried this one tonight...VERY yummy! I did a few tweaks to it and put it in here.

1 lb whole wheat penne (my box was 13.25 oz)
1/4 C EVOO (extra-virgin olive oil)
3 cloves garlic sliced
1 purple onion, finely chopped
1 head cauliflower, stem removed & chopped
1 C chicken stock
4 springs fresh rosemary, leaves stripped & finely chopped
(I subbed 1 t of rosemary & garlic seasoning I have)
3/4 C grated Romano (I used Romano & Parmesan mixture)

Cook pasta. Reserve 2 ladles of pasta water.

Meanwhile in a deep skillet put oil and garlic & cook 3 minutes. I left garlic in, but Rachel says to remove. Add onion and cook 5 minutes. Then add cauliflower, chicken stock and rosemary. Cover pan and cook 15 minutes. Uncover and add 1-2 ladles of reserved pasta water. Mash cauliflower with potato masher or back of spoon. Add to pasta. This is where I pulled 3/4 C out for me to eat. Then put cheese in the rest of the pasta and toss. Yield: 4 servings, but I doubled it and I would say it serves more like 6-7 becuase I have a good chunk of left overs.

I was very happy mashed cauliflower tasted so good. Never have tried it before. Here are the nutritional facts, if I figured them out right!

3/4 C completed (w/o cheese) = 4 g protein, 43.5 g carbs, 8.5 g fat (7 g from oil...got sub that!) 177 calories

I had a tossed salad with NASTY Fat Free Ranch dressing on it. Any ideas for a good tasting dressing?

So that was dinner!

Happy Eating!
TeAm Healthy

1 comment:

  1. I agree. I hate fat free Ranch.

    I love fat free Italian and Catalina. Or you could just make your own oil and vinegar dressing...

    ReplyDelete