Friday, January 28, 2011

Oatmeal with a variety

Plain oatmeal can get a little boring morning after morning, so here are a few ideas to mix it up a little.

The other morning for breakfast I added unsweetened applesauce, a bit of cinnamon, and a smidgen of cloves to my steel cut oats. It was pretty tasty.

Another favorite of mine is to add some kind of chopped nut (I love slivered almonds), a handful of dried unsweetened cranberries, and a chopped apple. Mix in a bit of cinnamon.

I also mix freeze dried peaches, chopped pecans, cinnamon and a tiny bit of ground cloves and nutmeg. After you turn off the heat stir in a bit of vanilla. Tastes just like peach cobbler!

Be sure not to overload your oatmeal with the nuts and fruit!

If you MUST have sugar in your oatmeal, try the sugar substitute Truvia, or agave nectar.

Also, using half water and half fat-free or 1% milk will help boost your calcium intake for the day if anyone is like me and has a hard time getting all my daily calcium in.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Denise! I do need to see what else I can add to mine. Unless I dehydrate my own fruit (which I might resort to!) I can't add fruit because of the sugar added. LOVE the nuts! Don't knwo why I haven't thougth of that! Me and my almonds are best buddies!

    ReplyDelete